Saturday, April 17, 2010

Will my TV SPDIF digital coaxial out have surround sound?

My receiver doesnt have hdmi inputs. Can i connect all my devices (xbox, dvd player, cable box) via hdmi to my TV and then use my TV's Spdif digital coaxial output to connect to receiver and have multichannel surround sound?





Example: xbox hdmi to TV, then TV Spdif digital coax output to receiver. Will i get surround sound?

Will my TV SPDIF digital coaxial out have surround sound?
Depends on your TV.


Most TVs will not pass through compressed audio, such as DD from the HDMI input to s/pdif, but some will.


You can always connect all sources to the TV for video and then connect via s/pdif each source to the AV receiver.
Reply:Maybe. It depends if the TV passes the HDMI audio to a digital coax or optical out.





But if it doesn't work you can take video via HDMI to the TV and take coaxial or optical audio from each device to receiver? That will give you surround sound. The disadvantage is you have to switch both the TV (to select video source) and the AVR (to select audio source), so I'd do it that way if your approach doesn't work.

primary teeth

No comments:

Post a Comment