Monday, November 16, 2009

My TV gives me tingles from the AV grounds. Outlet OK. TV replaced.?

Hi, please help...my TV gives me tingles from the AV grounds. I assume this means there is a voltage on the TV chassis. This happens with the TV plugged in to the wall, and nothing else connected to the TV (just power). This voltage gets passed on to anything else that I connect to the TV. If I connect my sat rcvr. with RCA plugs, and touch the metal chassis of my sat rcvr, I can feel the tingle. This goes away if I disconnect it from my TV. I suspected a bad outlet wiring, so I bought a 3-prong outlet tester, but it says the outlet is correct. I brought the TV back (Olevia 42" LCD) and changed it for a new one, and I still have the same problem!





Any ideas of what I can try (short of the obvious, calling an electrician)? I have a multimeter, if that helps, and am knowledgeable on electronics.





Thanks!!

My TV gives me tingles from the AV grounds. Outlet OK. TV replaced.?
Set your Voltmeter to an AC voltage scale higher than 150AC and measure the voltage between the Ground(round hole) and each of the slotted holes.


If the outlet is wired correctly, you should see approx. 120vac between the ground (round hole) and the "SMALLER" of the two slots.


Between the ground and the larger slot, you should measure less than "ONE" volt.


If you see 120VAC from the larger slot, then the outlet needs to have the the Black (Hot) and White (Neutral) wires reversed.


If the outlet is wired correctly and you measure more than "ONE Volt AC" from the larger slot, than you have a poor or no Ground connection "Dangerous" between the Neutral (White wire) and your Circuit Breaker Panels' internal House Ground Buss Bar.


Finally, did you have another (different brand) TV with Video/Audio jacks plugged into the same outlet and experienced the same problem? If so, fix the AC problem or stop walking around bare footed on a wet floor.


If not, then buy a different brand TV!!!


Good Luck!
Reply:I would recommend a power conditioner like the Belkin PF40 to help clear that up. It could be a strange loop between the electronics on the same phase in the house, but without looking at everything in the house, it's hard to say.





A power conditioner will help get rid of the ground loops and help isolate each circuit as well as provide top notch true surge protection for expensive electronics.


No comments:

Post a Comment